The purpose of the Professional School Counselor Academy is to coordinate and conduct sustainable, intensive professional development opportunities that meet the needs of professional school counselors.
The objectives of the Professional School Counselor Academy are to:
- Develop participants’ leadership capabilities;
- Promote the effective implementation of quality career development programs that promote student success in academics and career and technical education, increase graduation rates and reduce drop out rates;
- Reinforce understanding of professional school counseling policies and procedures, including legal responsibilities and ethical standards;
- Increase understanding of the new organizational structure for CTE based on the 16 career clusters
- Increase understanding of the Foundation High School Program and the five graduation plan endorsements;
- Provide resources for implementing effective career preparation learning opportunities;
- Promote effective business and industry partnerships and effective practices to improve parental and community involvement;
- Identify best practices to support quality professional school counselors; and,
- Identify and promote outstanding career development programs and effective practices in education that enhance student career decision-making and that integrate coherent and rigorous programs of study so students master academic skills while developing technical skills in high skill, high wage or high demand occupations.