2017-2018 Poised to Lead:
Professional School Counselor Academy
Participation in the Professional School Counselor Academy is by application only. The first phase of the 2017-2018 Poised to Lead: Professional School Counselor Academy will be held in Austin, Texas on October 16-18, 2017. Space is limited!
Participants are selected based on the following criteria:
- Need: applicant is currently working in a district/campus and responsible for counseling programs;
- Experience: the background and previous experience of the applicant;
- Support: how much local support is available for the applicant; and,
- Benefits: the impact the applicant’s leadership training will have on students, parents, teachers, and other stakeholders.
How to Apply:
To apply for the Professional School Counselor Academy, you will need to complete an online application form. A link to the form can be found at the bottom of this page. The application includes the following three sections and must be completed IN FULL before it is submitted.
- Applicant Information
- Educational Background
- Current Role and Responsiblities
- Questionnaire – consisting of the following four questions:
- Describe your most successful experience as a counselor.
- What are the major counseling challenges confronting you at the present?
- Identify any previous counseling or leadership training programs in which you have participated.
- Describe the scope of your counseling responsibilities (administrative, programmatic, budgetary, and supervisory) within your district.
- School Counseling Credentials
Applicants will be asked to upload their current counseling credentials and/or paste a link to their State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) record into the application form. It is helpful to locate this record before beginning the application. To locate your record in the SBEC database go to https://secure.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECONLINE/virtcert.asp. Enter your name as it appears on your certificate. Review your certificate for accuracy, then copy the URL address at the top of the webpage and paste the link into the “Link to SBEC Record” field on the application form.
- Acknowledgements and Authorizations
Applicants will be asked to confirm that they are aware of the commitments they are making if accepted into the Professional School Counselor Academy, including:
- Verification of the information provided in the application
- Commitment to participating in all three phases (October 2017, Spring 2018, Summer 2018) of the Academy.
- Agreeing to pay $250 participation fee if accepted.
- Agreeing to obtain signature from an “authorized approver” and submitting the signed application confirmation form.
An “authorized approver” is a superintendent, associate superintendent, principal, or other designee who has the authority to approve the applicant’s participation in all three phases of the Professional School Counselor Academy.
After submitting your application, if you do not receive an e-mail confirming receipt of your application within 15 minutes, call 361-825-5966 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information about the Professional School Counselor Academy and admission requirements, e-mail Dr. Karen Alexander at email@example.com.
Applications must be submitted by September 15, 2017.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance no later than September 22, 2017.